Friday, March 18, 2016

An Ode to Tea


It all starts in the kettle
Burdened with the boil,
Charming when it whistles;
the coach that calls me over
To simply say “job well done”


I always make haste
In pouring the boiled water over
A sweet and pungent bag
Of eleuthero and mint leaf
And lemongrass too


Steaming and hissing briefly
The water begins its transformation
Into a rejuvenating potion
By some primordial magic trick
I forget this drink was once water
My elation is for this tea


Before I commence in sipping
I twist the crystallized cap of the jar
Waking the saccharine honey from slumber
Into a cold spoon and a hot bath
Whisking the syrupy gold into the elixir
The aqueous transformation is complete


The first sip is a slap awake
From a jittery Monarch Butterfly


It brings me swiftly back
To my forlorn sense of taste


In which, nothing so warm and pleasant
And nectarous has engaged


My perceptive palette
Since last Christmas day


Everything is still now
I am getting up now
The last sip is all a slurp
I float into keen awareness
Of the ones I hold dear


The room bustles with life and noise
I owe my silence to them,
Listening to their racing conversations
I owe my silence to them,

The tea and the honey

No comments:

Post a Comment