Thursday, March 31, 2016

An Elegy for the Sage

By Alex Raia
An Elegy for the Sage

All things joyous gave him his ticket
His ticket to fly, his ticket to forget
I’m sure he smiled when he passed through the gate
Where the ticket clerks name is Death
He felt that death was to begin anew
I think we could all use his wisdom
How could he leave so soon?


So I am left feeling blue
And salty like the Dead Sea
A sea that rolls me over and feeds me its surplus
From an 8 foot tall wave


The spine of the wave rises to meet my mortal flesh
Relentless, the wave tosses me under the surface
I guzzle a mass of salt water in an effort to breathe


I recover with a saline pang in the back of my throat
I cannot rinse my mouth of this hurt, so I digest


It’s very sad to see the Sage go
He once said that trying to define yourself
Is like trying to bite your own teeth
He dissected the human thinking epidemic
He breached the castle walls surrounding the heart
Only to find: What kaleidoscopic, sensitive beings we are inside


He spoke of mysteries, never of certainties
His truth resonates with my whole being
It gets passed on through mysterious ripples;
Wave-trails of his wisdom can still be felt
If you keep your boat still enough


He would think my idolatry vain
And perhaps I would agree
He and I agree on a lot of things, you see
But if I were to show him this note
He would laugh into a coughing fit
As he put out his cigarette


He truly understood the Universe
And everyone who understands the Universe knows:
That when the daffodil wilts,
Or when the squirrel gets hit by a car,
Or when the whale spills ashore,
Or when the author has nothing left to say anymore
The body dries up, but the energy remains
Forevermore

No comments:

Post a Comment